Monday, December 17, 2012

Would it make a difference?

I was in desperate need of an oil change so I headed to Jiffy Lube on my way home from work today. I made my way into the waiting area where there was one other customer, a man wearing business clothes in his 20s as well. He was on the phone when I took my seat but soon after ended the call. Endless coverage of the events from Friday were playing on the TV screen and he made a comment towards me "I can't believe it, so crazy huh?" or something to that affect.

I have to be honest, by this point in the day I was rundown, overwhelmed with life decisions and feeling like I wanted to cry and throw a little girl tantrum. So all I could really muster was a "yeah, so sad."

A couple minutes later cell phone rang and it was my sister calling. I answered but then felt this nudge on my heart saying "don't you think talking on the phone in this small waiting room is a little rude?" and it was. Especially after this man had tried to engage in a conversation.

And honestly this may seem ridiculous to some, but I felt terrible for talking on the phone for the next 5 minutes in front of him. No I didn't know him and no I was not obligated to speak to him but I think that's a lot of what is wrong with our mentality these days. We've gotten so inside our little worlds that we don't realize a short conversation in a waiting room with another human could maybe be a moment for encouragement, enlightenment, who knows.

So I have to ask myself. Would it make a difference if I had said how I really feel towards the tragedy that occurred on Friday? Would it make a difference if I had offered more than a measly, half-hearted, "yeah, so sad." Would it make a difference if I had instead shared my faith by stating "yes, it is so sad; it is all the more evidence that we live in a broken world and how desperately we need Jesus, our Savior." And yes he might have looked at me blankly and thought, man she's coo-coo crazy BUT it may have been a moment where his whole perspective changed.

So I ask you to consider with me; would it make a difference if we engaged in conversations with those around us as if it was our one opportunity to change their lives forever?

I think it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment